top of page
A photograph of dogs who appear to be in poor condition in a cage.

Humane Law
& Animal 


Humane Law Enforcement Officers (HLEO)

  • Investigate cases of abuse, cruelty or neglect

  • Seize animals from dangerous conditions 

  • Arrest offenders 

  • Work with district attorneys to prosecute cases 

Report Animal Cruelty by Phone: Call ext. 417 or 415

Animal Control Officers (ACO)

  •  Investigate complaints of loose or aggressive   dogs

  •  Issue notices of compliance

  •  Issue citations

Report a Complaint by Phone: Call ext. 423

Dutchess County SPCA is not chartered to rescue wildlife. 
If you find an injured wild animal, please call Friends of the Feathered and Furry Wildlife Center at (518) 965-1864 or go to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation's website for their searchable database of certified wildlife rehabilitators.








Lives saved

New York State Ag & Markets

Humane Law falls under Agricultural laws

A white dog with some spots on her face looking sad and crouched down over a dirty floor.

Abandoned dog with life-threatening medical issue, rescued by DCSCPA.  Now adopted!

Dutchess County Animal Abuse Registry

Successful prosecutions

Animal Cruelty on the Internet


If you see animal cruelty on the internet, contact the Internet Crime Complaint Center.


The Internet Crime Complaint Center, or IC3, is the Nation’s central hub for reporting cyber crime. It is run by the FBI, the lead federal agency for investigating cyber crime.

On the grass, outside, there is a pen with a sheet on the bottom containing about ten Shih Tzu dogs in poor condition.

Shih Tzus rescued from a backyard breeder. 
Now adopted!

bottom of page